Communist League reply to Quaker questions
1. Are you in favour of Britain renewing its Trident nuclear weapons system?
The CL election campaign is opposed to the entire military apparatus of the British imperialist rulers. Not a penny, nor a person for Britain’s wars! The Cl’s candidates have built support for demonstrations against Britain’s wars over decades.
2. Do you think our country is right to be involved militarily in the Ukraine, even if in a training and support role?
Rulers in Russia and Western Europe are scared of how working people mobilized in their millions in Ukraine to overturn the hated Russian-
3. Do you give full weight to the urgency of minimising global warming? In the light of this, do you accept that much of the known fossil fuel reserves should be left underground, especially the most environmentally damaging such as tar sands and Arctic oil?
4. What is your attitude to fracking?
5. Many people can’t afford to heat their homes over the winter. We can’t afford to ignore climate change either. How would you tackle fuel poverty in a long-
3, 4 and 5:
The dictatorship of capital, not global warming, is the greatest threat to working people around the world today.
The CL starts from the capacity of human beings to transform nature, raise the productivity of social labor, and advance the accessibility of culture and civilization to the world’s toilers. But the capitalists’ profits, not the producing majority of the world’s population, dictate how production is done under capitalism. Workers in Britian freeze during winter for the same reason millions around the globe have no access to electricity-
We approach every environmental question from how to advance the defense of the working class so we can wrest that control from the capitalists. Fracking, transport of oil in pipes or by train, toxic waste from production of solar panels – all energy production under capitalism means dangers to workers, communities, and nature. We fight for oil and other energy companies to be placed under workers’ control to enforce job safety, combat pollution, and provide affordable energy to working people not only here but everywhere across the world.
We build a party today that can lead millions in the struggles ahead to take political power from the capitalists and unleash the untapped creativity of working people to transform the environment and society in which we live.
Toilers worldwide need electrification”
C. ECONOMICS AND SOCIAL JUSTICE
6. Do you think our economy can or should go on growing indefinitely?
It’s not ‘our’ economy, it’s in the hands of minority class. Only when it is run by workers and farmers who create all the wealth out of nature, will it be possible for economic growth to be occur without undermining either of these sources of all wealth. That’s what is needed to bridge the gap between rich and poor in each country and in the world; it’s the only realistic course to meet the needs of the world’s majority – working people.
“Capitalism threatens soil and worker”.
7. Are you opposed to the the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership? If so why; if not, why not?
The CL is opposed to all imperialist pacts, including the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, as they are used to drain the surplus wealth workers and farmers produce, into the pockets of capitalists in the United States and the EU and to block trade with countries in the underdeveloped world. We start from the common interests of workers around the world not from defending so called “British interests” which are actually the interests of the propertied rulers – those who own the big business and exploit the vast majority.
8. Do you intend to help shrink the yawning gap between rich and poor and check the extraordinary concentration of wealth in very few hands? If so, how?
We need to build a movement independent of the capitalist parties, so workers can replace capitalist rule with workers’ power. Through participating in working class struggles workers develop unity and self-
9. Do you recognise that low wages and benefits, plus harsh and arbitrary stoppage of benefits, is causing serious and unjust hardship? Do you want to restore the safety net which ought to protect British people from serious want?
CL candidates have joined picket lines and built solidarity with workers fighting low pay. The attacks on jobs, wages and social benefits are not a result of mistaken government policies but the response of the bosses and their governments to the global crises of production and trade. They seek to make working people pay for their crises. We defend universal access to benefits, health care, education and pensions regardless of whether that worker is an immigrant or not. At the same time we fight for a massive government funded jobs program to put millions back to work and put the unions in a strongetr position to fight. We back a substantial rise in the minimum wage, and a shorter work week with no cut in pay.